Go Take a Bath, Mr Swoon-Worthy
Jul. 29th, 2010 01:40 pmYou may or may not know I am eternally devoted to Alan Rickman, and it all started back when he first played Snape. Since then, I have seen a few movies starring him, really good ones, but not nearly enough, and it were mostly the more recent ones. When my mum told me that he plays the Sheriff of Nottingham in her favourite adaptation of Robin Hood (The Prince of Thieves starring Kevin Costner), I wanted to watch it AT ONCE. Only, she said I couldn't see it until I was sixteen. And when I finally was sixteen, it took me more than a year until I finally watched it. And now I've seen it! And holy crap, I couldn't take it seriously most of the time. :D
In consequence, I started to comment on all kinds of things. When Azeem was first rescued by Robin, I said, "they're going to be friends, aren't they?", and it went on in that way.
JOHN LITTLE: I am a fearsome kind of gnome with a weird curly beard and I am going to clobber you with my staff until you hand over that necklace of yours!
ROBIN: Well, I can't let you do that, you see, for I am really attached to my jewellery!
ME: Just a second and they'll make friends with each other!
CLOBBERING: goes on
JOHN LITTLE: Alright, now do let's be friends!
MONK: I am a very fierce monk! I will bite your leg and put my foot in your mouth to nobly defend my drink!
ME: He's going to join with them, isn't he?
MUM: How do you always know?
Well, to be honest, childhood memories helped a little. We once had a box where we stowed our LEGO in, and the lid was printed with pictures of Robin Hood and his friends. I recall it only vaguely, but I remember the bearded guy and the fat monk. :)
Anyway, what I really liked about the movie were the awesome women. First, there was Fanny (I think that's what she's called), Little's wife. Apart from giving birth to eight children, she really knows how to handle the guys. I was in awe of her from the moment on when she told one of Nottingham's hounds that her husband had died last winter in such a matter-of-fact voice that he really didn't know what to answer. Also, she's the most awesome person to stand up to the men and tell them that she will go with them and fight and not watch her own son die on the gallows. And then there were Sarah and Marian.
ROBIN: Hail, Marian! Do you remember the good ol' times when we used to play with each other? Wasn't it just wonderful?
SARAH: Righty, mister. Still the show-off, I see.
ROBIN: Step into the light, pretty maiden, so I can see you!
SARAH: steps forward
ROBIN: You-
ROBIN: to himself -are not quite as pretty as I expected you to be.
ROBIN: out loud -have become quite the beauty, huh!
Marian then proceeded to be generally awesome and almost stabbed him through with her sword. I loved it that she was not all at once taken in by her swoon-worthy hero, but that she saved him and herself with a clever ruse nonetheless. During the course of the film, it became more and more obvious that Marian is perfectly capable of defending herself, be it with words or with arms. She did neither let the Sheriff nor Robin have their way with her.
ROBIN: I have found myself an old patched coat and personally I think that I look positively dashing!
MARIAN: Please, Mr Swoon-Worthy, would you grant me one favour?
ROBIN: Of course! What is it? Do you want me to carry you home on my bare hands? Do you want me to snog you into oblivion? To-
MARIAN: Neither, actually. Would you maybe take a bath?
MARIAN: Wow, this is so awesome! I am in the outlaws' camp! Let's see what mischief I can do!
ROBIN: Well, Wulf, that was a good shot, but can you shoot just as well when you're distracted? tickles Wulf's ear
ARROW: hits the target anyway
MARIAN: Oh, but can you, Mr Swoon-Worthy?
ROBIN: Well, uh, um, yeah. Of course!
MARIAN: breathes down his neck
ARROW: glances off a random tree
MARIAN: Well done! You are such a hero!
MARIAN: So, now that I'm in the tree-tops, how do I get down again? I have to go back to my great big castle.
ROBIN: Do not worry, I will scoop you up in my strong arms and it will be all Tarzan-like! I have even taken a bath!
MARIAN: Alright, these efforts do deserve a kiss.
So, I was very much in awe of Marian. And then the Sheriff of Nottingham kidnapped her and they turned her into a damsel in distress who was reduced to dramatically screaming "ROBIN!" all the time.
SHERIFF & ROBIN: are locked in battle
MARIAN: ROBIN! Look out or I may swoon in this corner of the room this second!
SHERIFF: MWAHAHAHA I WILL KILL YOU WITH YOUR FATHER'S SWORD!
MARIAN: ROBIN! OH NO WATCH OUT HE HAS A BIG POINTY SWORD I THINK HE MEANS TO KILL YOU!
I would have preferred it if they had given her some action like pounding the Sheriff on the head with blunt objects, or kicking his butt, or something. Alan Rickman was pretty awesome by the way! I had no idea he used to be good-looking. I was very taken in by his jumping around like a gnome, and he threw such lovely tantrums. And I made a discovery! Will Scarlett (who looks dashing in a pointy hat, I tell you) also played the annoying novice in In the Name of the Rose. Well, we have been reconciled! As much as he annoyed me in this other movie, as much Christian Slater wowed me in Robin Hood. Because, frankly, he looks dashing in a pointy hat.

Speaking of scarlet, I read A Study in Scarlet today, and I loved it. Doyle walks this small thread between capturing my attention like whoa and making me annoyed like whoa. It takes such a lot of time until he finally tells the conclusion of a case that my nerves are always close to snapping. I wanted to know what was going on so much at the end of Part One, and then he started telling Jefferson Hope's story from the very beginning. That got so suspenseful and sucked me in so much though that I didn't care anymore when I was about one third into it. I just love Sherlock Holmes. He's like the Monk of the nineteenth century, wonderfully eccentric and intelligent. And reading Doyle's stories always reminds me of the good times when I used to be in a bilingual English class which were about the best times of all the years I've been learning English.
In consequence, I started to comment on all kinds of things. When Azeem was first rescued by Robin, I said, "they're going to be friends, aren't they?", and it went on in that way.
JOHN LITTLE: I am a fearsome kind of gnome with a weird curly beard and I am going to clobber you with my staff until you hand over that necklace of yours!
ROBIN: Well, I can't let you do that, you see, for I am really attached to my jewellery!
ME: Just a second and they'll make friends with each other!
CLOBBERING: goes on
JOHN LITTLE: Alright, now do let's be friends!
MONK: I am a very fierce monk! I will bite your leg and put my foot in your mouth to nobly defend my drink!
ME: He's going to join with them, isn't he?
MUM: How do you always know?
Well, to be honest, childhood memories helped a little. We once had a box where we stowed our LEGO in, and the lid was printed with pictures of Robin Hood and his friends. I recall it only vaguely, but I remember the bearded guy and the fat monk. :)
Anyway, what I really liked about the movie were the awesome women. First, there was Fanny (I think that's what she's called), Little's wife. Apart from giving birth to eight children, she really knows how to handle the guys. I was in awe of her from the moment on when she told one of Nottingham's hounds that her husband had died last winter in such a matter-of-fact voice that he really didn't know what to answer. Also, she's the most awesome person to stand up to the men and tell them that she will go with them and fight and not watch her own son die on the gallows. And then there were Sarah and Marian.
ROBIN: Hail, Marian! Do you remember the good ol' times when we used to play with each other? Wasn't it just wonderful?
SARAH: Righty, mister. Still the show-off, I see.
ROBIN: Step into the light, pretty maiden, so I can see you!
SARAH: steps forward
ROBIN: You-
ROBIN: to himself -are not quite as pretty as I expected you to be.
ROBIN: out loud -have become quite the beauty, huh!
Marian then proceeded to be generally awesome and almost stabbed him through with her sword. I loved it that she was not all at once taken in by her swoon-worthy hero, but that she saved him and herself with a clever ruse nonetheless. During the course of the film, it became more and more obvious that Marian is perfectly capable of defending herself, be it with words or with arms. She did neither let the Sheriff nor Robin have their way with her.
ROBIN: I have found myself an old patched coat and personally I think that I look positively dashing!
MARIAN: Please, Mr Swoon-Worthy, would you grant me one favour?
ROBIN: Of course! What is it? Do you want me to carry you home on my bare hands? Do you want me to snog you into oblivion? To-
MARIAN: Neither, actually. Would you maybe take a bath?
MARIAN: Wow, this is so awesome! I am in the outlaws' camp! Let's see what mischief I can do!
ROBIN: Well, Wulf, that was a good shot, but can you shoot just as well when you're distracted? tickles Wulf's ear
ARROW: hits the target anyway
MARIAN: Oh, but can you, Mr Swoon-Worthy?
ROBIN: Well, uh, um, yeah. Of course!
MARIAN: breathes down his neck
ARROW: glances off a random tree
MARIAN: Well done! You are such a hero!
MARIAN: So, now that I'm in the tree-tops, how do I get down again? I have to go back to my great big castle.
ROBIN: Do not worry, I will scoop you up in my strong arms and it will be all Tarzan-like! I have even taken a bath!
MARIAN: Alright, these efforts do deserve a kiss.
So, I was very much in awe of Marian. And then the Sheriff of Nottingham kidnapped her and they turned her into a damsel in distress who was reduced to dramatically screaming "ROBIN!" all the time.
SHERIFF & ROBIN: are locked in battle
MARIAN: ROBIN! Look out or I may swoon in this corner of the room this second!
SHERIFF: MWAHAHAHA I WILL KILL YOU WITH YOUR FATHER'S SWORD!
MARIAN: ROBIN! OH NO WATCH OUT HE HAS A BIG POINTY SWORD I THINK HE MEANS TO KILL YOU!
I would have preferred it if they had given her some action like pounding the Sheriff on the head with blunt objects, or kicking his butt, or something. Alan Rickman was pretty awesome by the way! I had no idea he used to be good-looking. I was very taken in by his jumping around like a gnome, and he threw such lovely tantrums. And I made a discovery! Will Scarlett (who looks dashing in a pointy hat, I tell you) also played the annoying novice in In the Name of the Rose. Well, we have been reconciled! As much as he annoyed me in this other movie, as much Christian Slater wowed me in Robin Hood. Because, frankly, he looks dashing in a pointy hat.

Speaking of scarlet, I read A Study in Scarlet today, and I loved it. Doyle walks this small thread between capturing my attention like whoa and making me annoyed like whoa. It takes such a lot of time until he finally tells the conclusion of a case that my nerves are always close to snapping. I wanted to know what was going on so much at the end of Part One, and then he started telling Jefferson Hope's story from the very beginning. That got so suspenseful and sucked me in so much though that I didn't care anymore when I was about one third into it. I just love Sherlock Holmes. He's like the Monk of the nineteenth century, wonderfully eccentric and intelligent. And reading Doyle's stories always reminds me of the good times when I used to be in a bilingual English class which were about the best times of all the years I've been learning English.
no subject
Date: 2010-07-29 12:58 pm (UTC)Lol, well if you fell in love with him as Snape, then any normal Alan Rickmanning would be perfect!
Aaah I love him! Have you seen the BBC adaptation of Sense and Sensibility where he is Colonel Brandon? And of course Love Actually, where he is so brilliant.
no subject
Date: 2010-07-29 04:37 pm (UTC)Yes, both of them! Oooh, I just love how he's all grumpy on Sense & Sensibility. I've been wanting to rewatch Love Actually forever and ever because it's true, he's BRILLIANT.
no subject
Date: 2010-07-29 10:09 pm (UTC)Heresy! How can you be a fan and not think that he always was and always will be the best-looking man that has ever walked on earth? ;)
A lot of people dislike Robin Hood, and I know I also can be very picky when it comes to films but somehow I've always enjoyed this one very much. It's historically wrong, and not everyone's acting is well done, but I have never cared. To me the film is a kind of mindless action film, which means to entertain only, and I'm perfectly happy with that.
no subject
Date: 2010-07-30 11:00 am (UTC)Yes, it is pretty entertaining! And there are pointy hats.
no subject
Date: 2010-07-30 08:55 am (UTC)I don't think I've ever read A Study in Scarlet. I really should, though :).
no subject
Date: 2010-07-30 11:02 am (UTC)I really enjoyed it. The whole background story is very interesting. :)